Oxygen Equipment and Accessories Covered by Medicare

Every year, nearly 1.5 million Americans require oxygen therapy in order to improve their quality of life. If you have Medicare coverage, you can rest assured that your oxygen medical equipment will be covered. However, a few rules and regulations must apply to you for your equipment needs to be approved by Medicare.

            Oxygen equipment and accessories are covered under Medicare as Durable Medical Equipment (DME) that your health care provider will prescribe to you for your use at home. If the following conditions are met, Medicare will help pay and supply you with what you need:

  • Your doctor diagnoses you with a severe lung disease and or you are not getting enough oxygen.
  • Your health would improve with oxygen therapy.
  • Your arterial blood gas level falls within a certain range.
  • Other alternative health measures have failed you as a patient.

If all of the above conditions apply to you then you will have Medicare coverage for oxygen systems, mouthpieces, tubing, maintenance, repairs, humidifiers, related accessories, as well as delivery.

            These services and supplies can be rented from a supplier for up to 5 years. Your payments will fall within a 36 month window, with the following 24 months of continual supply from your provider, for a total of 5 years of oxygen coverage in full. After your 5 years are up, if you still need oxygen therapy and coverage, you may rent the equipment again from the same supplier or seek out a new one following a similar 36 months, 24 months, 5 year plan.

As with most Durable Medical Equipment, you are responsible for 20% of the cost and Medicare will cover the remaining 80%. The final price is dependent on how much your doctor charges, facility, and if your healthcare provider accepts Medicare.

To find a provider that will work for you, give us a call at (800) 627-2768.



Join the Discussion